Sources for the charts:
As a global company, we at Autodesk look at the needs for housing and infrastructure around the globe. We have found that:
With over half the world’s population already living in cities, urban areas are projected to continue growing, particularly in the Global South (e.g., Delhi, Dhaka, Cairo, Kinshasa, etc.), generating increased demand for housing and infrastructure projects.
Here are some recent articles supporting this premise:
"For the first time since 1947, we added more people to our [Indian] cities than to rural areas in the decade ending 2011."
"Activity in the Vietnamese residential real estate is expected to pick up in the coming years as the urban population swells, and foreign buyers gradually return to the nation’s property market."
"KAMPALA — Rapid urbanization and limited land for more housing units are influencing the demand for condominium units in the country... Condominiums are often priced lower than single-family homes, and for younger people interested in home ownership, a condo can be a great first step."
"[Worldwide,] agriculture land is being used for housing societies and expanding cities are exerting extra burden on civic amenities like clean water supply, sanitation/sewerage, and roads infrastructure."
"...factors [such as worker migration] put pressure on municipalities and the government to provide services, infrastructure, and housing to keep up with the continued rapid urbanization and population growth."
"[The growth of cities] requires an urban place to possess specific types of urban characteristics, such as established street patterns, contiguously aligned buildings, and public services such as sewer system, piped water supply, electric lighting, police stations, hospitals, schools, courts of law and a local transportation system."
We believe that increased demand for housing and infrastructure projects will create opportunities for our customers as well as challenges:
Provide Flooding Relief
"Rapid urbanization and government failure to deliver adequate housing are among the driving forces behind the proliferation of informal settlements across South African cities and towns. These informal settlements ... lack basic amenities and infrastructure, including proper roads and storm water drainage systems. This leaves their residents most vulnerable to the effects of climate change and changing weather patterns, such as floods."
Address Water Shortages
"Out of 76 urban centers across eight districts in Maharashtra’s Marathwada region, only seven receive water supply daily, as per a report prepared by the Aurangabad divisional commissioner’s office, a grim figure that highlights acute water shortage in the arid region in the central part of the state."
"Rapid urbanization and too much reliance on groundwater extraction has resulted in Gurugram [Delhi] being placed under dark zone by the Central government for falling groundwater reserves."
Reduce Environmental Impact
"It is estimated that almost 40% of the world’s energy is consumed by buildings' heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems. This consumption increases by 3% every year and will reach 70% by 2050 due to rapid urbanization and population growth."
"The consumption of cement in Nigeria has continued to increase due to rapid urbanization and industrialization, thus fuelling gains for Dangote Cement Plc."
"India is a country under construction. Over 250 million people are estimated to be added to the country’s urban population over the next two decades. This translates into a massive and sustained demand for building materials such as cement — an industrial sector with high carbon emissions. The Reserve Bank of India has advocated for technological intervention to address these carbon emissions from the cement industry, which in turn will help achieve India’s net-zero emission targets."
And the strangest one of all, Allow Humans and Animals to Cohabitate
"These metropolises are the world’s only megacities of 10 million-plus where large felines — mountain lions in one, leopards in the other — thrive by breeding, hunting, and maintaining territory within urban boundaries..."
At Autodesk, we are inspired by the prospect of a better world designed and made for all. We help innovators do more (e.g., quantity, functionality, performance, quality) with less (e.g., energy, raw materials, timeframes, waste of human potential) and realize the opportunity for better (e.g., innovation, user experience, efficiency, sustainability, return on investment). And with urbanization on the rise, there is a growing need for that.
Some of our products that can help address the effects of urbanization include:
- 3ds Max: 3D modeling/rendering for design visualization and animation
- A360: view/share files (including 2D and 3D designs) anywhere, cloud
- Advance Steel: 3D modeling for steel detailing, design, fabrication, and construction
- AEC Collection: set of integrated tools for Building Information Modeling (BIM) and CAD workflows
- AutoCAD: create 3D and 2D drawings; used by architects, engineers, construction professionals; can be used desktop (PC and Mac), mobile, or web
- Architecture: design and draft architectural designs (renovations, walls/doors/windows, design/documentation, room documentation)
- Electrical: create, modify, and document electrical controls systems with an industry-specific toolset for electrical design
- LT: limited technology version of AutoCAD for 2D-only without ability to add plug-ins
- LT for Mac: limited technology version of AutoCAD for MacOS
- Map 3D: incorporates geographic information system and CAD data with industry-specific toolset for GIS and 3D mapping; has topographical data, analysis tools, can convert data to intelligent industry models, surfaces and point cloud tools
- MEP (Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing): draft, design, and document building systems
- Mobile app (formerly AutoCAD 360): can create, edit, view CAD drawings from non-desktop devices
- OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer): exclusively for those who develop (or want to develop) customized applications based on AutoCAD; Partner Program (Build, Bundle, and Integrate partnership agreements for third party solution developers or independent software vendors)
- P&ID (Piping and Instrumentation Diagram): create and edit P&IDs, 3D models, and extract piping orthographics and isometrics with industry-specific toolset for plant design
- Plant 3D: design, model, and document process plants with the comprehensive AutoCAD plant design and layout toolset; 3d plant design for designers and engineers
- Raster Design: raster design tools in specialized toolset to edit scanned drawings and convert raster images to DWG objects; image editing/cleanup, vectorization tools, image transformation functionality
- Revit LT BIM (Building Information Modeling) Suite: helps produce high-quality 3D architectural designs and documentation; helps transition to BIM
- BIM (Building Information Modeling) 360: collaborative/cloud software, now part of Autodesk Construction Cloud
- Civil 3D: civil infrastructure design and documentation, improve drafting, design, and construction documentation
- Construction Cloud: construction management software for field execution and project management to seamlessly collaborate and deliver construction projects on time, on budget
- Assemble: query and connect BIM data to design reviews, takeoffs, estimating, change management, and value engineering to reduce risk and improve efficiency
- BIM Collaborate: connect decision-makers and construction teams to manage design reviews and automate model coordination with trades
- BIM Collaborate Pro: co-author designs, perform design reviews, and automate model coordination with trades
- Build: comprehensive field and project management software that delivers a broad, deep, and connected set of tools for builders
- Building Connected: largest real-time, construction network with an easy-to-use platform that streamlines the bid and risk management process
- Connect: create powerful custom integrations easily and build unique workflows that automatically move critical project data between Autodesk Construction Cloud and over 200 business-critical systems
- Docs: centralized document management solution that acts as a single source of truth across the project lifecycle for all project teams
- Pype: create and review submittal logs, collect closeout documentation, and create dynamic document turnover packages while reducing risk and increasing accuracy
- Takeoff: perform accurate 2D takeoffs and generate automated quantities from 3D models in a single online solution
- Design Review: non-CAD users can view, mark up, print, and track changes to 2D and 3D DWF files for free without original design software
- Drive: CAD-aware storage for individuals and small teams
- DWG TrueView: view AutoCAD drawings (DWG files) and convert DWG file versions
- Fabrication: create Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP) models, generate estimates, and drive fabrication; more accurate estimates for MEP building system projects through detailing, fabrication, and installation
- CADmep: detailing software for MEP contractors
- CAMduct: duct fabrication software for Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) contractors
- ESTmep: estimation software for MEP contractors
- Forge: cloud-based developer tools; connect teams, workflows, and build new services to address today's connected customer; helps companies build applications that tap into their design and engineering data
- FormIt Pro: architectural modeling; enables them to sketch, collaborate, analyze, and share early-stage design concepts
- InfraWorks: supports BIM processes; conceptualizes, optimizes, and visualizes infrastructure projects
- Innovyze: end-to-end water infrastructure solutions from design to operations, digital twin capabilities, and a path to a more sustainable and digitized water industry
- ICM Live: live modeling that integrates with hydraulic models, SCADA historians, and weather forecast databases to provide a near-real-time view of network performance and alerts teams to adverse events
- Info360: Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) platform for water utilities that delivers next generation water lifecycle management through the power of the cloud
- InfoAsset Manager: centralizes asset information for daily management of assets via a consolidated view of historical and current asset data
- InfoAsset Mobile: capture assets, create work orders, and design workflows to connect colleagues in the office and the field
- InfoAsset Online: share information about assets with anyone with a browser to access asset, incident, and work order information
- InfoAsset Planner: a renewal and replacement roadmap for allocating budget to prioritized projects
- InfoDrainage: create detailed designs of both traditional and sustainable drainage, plus customizable reports for local regulatory compliance
- InfoSewer: 1D sewer modeling software used for capacity analysis and planning of gravity sewer systems to pinpoint cost-effective ways to reduce overall system flows to restore or increase capacity
- InfoSWMM: ArcGIS-centric hydraulic, hydrologic, and water quality simulation model for urban drainage and sewer networks that provides analysis for the planning and management of stormwater, sanitary sewer, and combined sewer networks
- InfoWater: get answers to "what happens when" questions to make decisions with confidence
- InfoWater Pro: next-generation software and visualization, empowering the best decisions about water supply networks
- InfoWorks ICM: accurate digital representations of the natural and constructed elements impacting sanitary sewer, stormwater, or combined sewer networks
- InfoWorks ICM SE: 1D dynamic sewer system modeling for analysis of stormwater, sanitary, and combined sewer systems
- InfoWorks WS Pro: advanced hydraulic modeling software for faster, more robust analysis and management of water supply networks
- IWLive Pro : operational modeling for water supply networks, offering both hydraulic and water quality simulations that predicts demand and optimizes pump schedules
- MicroDrainage: advanced drainage design that optimizes the performance and effectiveness of drainage systems, including SuDS – both greenfield and retrofit
- XPSite3D: address roads, roundabouts, residential sites with conceptual layouts, fully engineered models, and drawings in an intuitive 3D interface
- XPStorm: dynamic urban stormwater and river systems modeling that clearly conveys results to engineers, planners, and the general public
- XPSWMM: holistic 1D/2D modeling package for stormwater and wastewater problems that helps engineers and watershed managers to simulate hydrology, hydraulics, water quality, and surface flooding
- Insight: architects and engineers can design more energy-efficient buildings with simulation engines and building performance analysis data integrated in Revit
- Navisworks: 3D model review for architecture, engineering, and construction
- Freedom: viewer that allows integration and coordinate alignment of various file formats
- Manage: 3D clash detection and advanced coordination, 5D (3D plus time and cost) analysis, and simulation tools
- Simulate: review and communicate project details through 5D analysis and simulation
- ObjectARX: provides object-oriented C++, C#, and VB .NET application programming interfaces for developers to use, customize, and extend AutoCAD software and products
- Plangrid Build: mobile-first, field collaboration app, now part of Autodesk Build
- Point Layout: point placement and construction site layout
- ReCap Pro: create 3D models with reality capture, convert reality into 3D models or 2D drawing that's ready for further design
- Rendering as a Service: fast, high-resolution cloud rendering that takes advantage of virtually infinite computing power to create photorealistic and high-resolution images in less time
- Revit: multidisciplinary BIM for higher quality, coordinated designs; produce model-based building designs and documentation
- Revit LT: limited technology version of Revit
- Robot Structural Analysis Professional: BIM structural analysis for engineers
- Structural Bridge Design: integrated bridge analysis for architecture, engineering, and construction
- Tandem: cloud-based digital twin technology platform that enables projects to start digital and stay digital, transforming rich data into business intelligence by harnessing BIM (Building Information Modeling) data throughout the design-build-operate process
- Vehicle Tracking: transportation analysis and design built for vehicle swept path analysis for architecture, engineering, and construction
- Viewer: view 50+ file formats in browser, no download or plug-in needed, use shared views to collaborate online with teammates
Recognizing the effects of urbanization is alive in the lab.