Psychologist and author, Guy Winch, asks us to take our emotional health as seriously as we take our physical health — and explores how to heal from common heartaches. Check out his TED Talk:
In summary, here are the 7 things to close the gap between caring for our physical and emotional health:
- Loneliness falsely makes us believe that others care about us less than they actually do. So go out and interact with people.
- Pay attention to emotional pain. Even distracting yourself from your problems for 2 minutes can alter your outlook.
- Failure can trick us into believing that we can't do something when actually, we can. Don't let one failure cause you to function below your full potential.
- Stop the emotional bleeding by practicing emotional hygiene. Take stock of your feelings and manage them.
- Avoid letting rejection make you dwell on your shortcomings. Instead, revive your self-esteem.
- Don't let ruminating on upsetting events become a habit. Move on.
- Battle negative thinking. In the words of Monty Python, "Always look on the bright side of life..."
Psychological well-being is alive in the lab.