I am working from home today, so I tried a new Alameda restaurant for lunch. Neptune's is located on Central Avenue where the old Fosters Freeze was. Let me summarize by saying that I will go back, but I would not order the same thing.
Here are the events as they unfolded:
- I walked over and entered the building. Everything is clean and new. I was immediately greeted by a hostess. The place was full, so I was told there would be a 10-minute wait. I had my phone with me (so I could read work emails), so I figured "Why not?" I gave the hostess my name.
- I waited a few minutes and was the seated. I was given a food menu and a drink menu.
- I scanned the menu, made my selections, and waited about 10 minutes before a waiter approached my table. When he did, I ordered an Arnold Palmer and the Cheesy Shrimp & Grits. The waiter asked if I wanted a glass of water to start, but I declined.
- A few minutes later, the waiter brought my Arnold Palmer.
Although it was not very sweet, it tasted OK. I would probably opt for something else next time.
- I sipped my Arnold Palmer while I browsed on my phone. A few minutes later, a different server dropped off my food:
It certainly had plenty of shrimp. They had a funny ketchup-like aftertaste that I did not care for — that was probably the "Brekkie sauce." The cheesy grits were actually great. Combined with the fried egg over medium on top, that was quite good. If only the shrimp didn't have that aftertaste.
- A few minutes later, as I was taking my last sip of Arnold Palmer, my original waiter checked on me. He asked if everything was OK. I said fine. Of his own volition, he told me that he had an Arnold Palmer yesterday and loved it. I was hoping he would notice that mine was empty and ask if I wanted a refill or another, but he didn't. I finished my meal, liquid-free, and regretted my decision not to accept that initial glass of water.
- About 10 minutes after I was done, the waiter asked if he should close out my check. I said yes, and he brought me the bill — less than $20. The check came in a cup. I added $25 to cup, left that on the table, and departed.
The soft opening of Neptune's is April 18 to April 30. The service will get better. It's so close to my house, I know I will go back. I'll just order something else than the Cheesy Shrimp & Grits.
Lunch is alive in the lab.