Autodesk Revit is our building design software that is specifically built for Building Information Modeling (BIM), including features for architectural design; Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP); structural engineering; and construction. Autodesk Seek is our web service that enables architects, engineers, and other design professionals to quickly discover, preview, and download branded and generic BIM files, models, drawings, and product specifications for their active design sessions. What would happen if we put these two things together? We asked that very question to the Autodesk Labs community.
As the name suggests, Autodesk Seek for Revit was our free technology preview that allowed users to conveniently access high quality BIM models, drawings, and product specifications for more than 66,000 commercial and residential building products, representing over 400 manufacturers, from inside Revit® 2015 or 2016. Technology preview participants had 90 days, later extended to 180 days, to try it and make their suggestions. This technology preview has now ended.
When a technology preview ends, one of three things can happen:
- Graduation — take the next step towards production (e.g., beta, product release)
- Retirement — not necessarily dead (could come back later in another form)
- Extension — conduct another technology preview (in essence, additional time)
Based on the feedback received during this technology preview, Seek for Revit technology graduated to the Autodesk App Center. As part of this graduation, Product Manager, Patrick Aragon, shared some screenshots and key benefits with me.
The Features and Benefits of the new Seek extension for Revit include:
- Quickly search or browse over 66,000 products (the entire Seek catalog)
- Refine search results by Manufacturer and Category using the search results filter dropdowns
- Easily place RFA or RFAs with additional Type Catalogs, without leaving the Revit environment
- Preview product details before placement into your project
- Conveniently specify the download location for your files and your search results page size preference
Important Note for Labs users of the Revit extension: If you installed the technology preview version of the plug-in, you will need to uninstall the technology preview version before installing the new version from the App Center. This is a one-time thing as all future versions will uninstall as part of the update process.
Thanks to everyone who participated in the technology preview. As we say in all of our technology previews on Autodesk Labs, your feedback shapes the future of our technology.
Graduation ceremonies are alive in the lab.