Design Night is an events program at the Autodesk Gallery. At each event, guests explore a different theme — such as biomimicry, light, or robotics — that challenges the conventionally narrow definition of design. The theme is reflected in all aspects of the event, from the activities guests enjoy to the food they eat to the music they hear. The result is a fun and fascinating venue for exploration, networking, and the exchange of ideas. So far we have had:
- September 6, 2012: Small is the Next Big Thing // more
- October 4, 2012: Public Interest Design // more
- November 1, 2013: Future of Transportation
- December 6, 2012: Leaps and Bounds // more
- February 7, 2013: Mother Nature: Celebrity Designer // more
- March 7, 2013: Illumination // more
- April 4, 2013: Robots // more
On Thursday, May 2, 6-10 p.m., the Autodesk Gallery in San Francisco will host another Design Night: Making It!, where we will explore the amazing world of the Maker movement. So get your creative self over to Design Night and:
Hear a talk from Mark Hatch — TechShop CEO // more
Build a birdhouse (bird not included)
Make your own creature (Don’t worry, we’ll leave the lights on.)
It’s a brave new world, and everything is changing. The oily machines of manufacturing are being joined by squeaky-clean computers, 3D printers, and digital fabrication services. Creativity is rampant and people (like you and me) are saying see ya to mass-produced, non-individuality goods. As it turns out, making exactly what you want is something anyone can do, and maker-types obviously learned their kindergarten lessons because they love to share. That means one idea spawns hundreds more, and innovation is running amok.
So come to Design Night if you're curious about the maker movement and what they mean for the future of design. Also enjoy an open bar, food, activities, and much, much more so...um...hurry! The previous Design Nights have sold out quickly. Registration is required and ticket pricing is as follows:
- Advanced Tickets: $20 General / $15 Autodesk Employees / $10 Students
- Day of Event Tickets: $25 General / $20 Autodesk Employees / $15 Students
To attend the event:
- Visit the event registration site.
- Click Register (at the bottom right).
- Fill out the form.
Admission fees include admission to the presentation, as well as an open bar, food, music, and hands-on activities. The last four Design Nights have sold out in advance!
A different kind of making out is alive in the lab.