Project Memento is our free technology preview available on Autodesk Labs that provides a state of the art toolset that visualizes huge meshes from laser scans, photos, or any modeling application. It also automatically analyzes meshes for errors and allows users to easily fix them for digital use or fabrication.
On Tuesday of last week, the team provided me with a new build. Tatjana Dzambazova is the Product Manager and champion of Project Memento. Tatjana documented what was in this new build.
What’s NEW in the November update of Project Memento
New acquisition method:
Create mesh from Artec handheld scanner input
- This build uncovers the first support for live, in-product handheld scanners acquisition support in Project Memento. The current implementation is uniquely applicable to handheld scanners made by Artec (Spider and Eva) and it's just a first step in supporting live connection with the scanners and generation of meshes from structured light scans.
- After connecting one of these scanners to your machine, you can start the scanning process while observing the acquisition live in Project Memento and then generate a mesh from it.
- Note: The current implementation is phase 1 and is limited to a single scan input (scanning an object without interrupting the scanning process). It is limited, but already good enough to test. The support for full scanning process with multiple scans arrives right after this release. Additional handheld scanner brands will be implemented in memento next year.
Dashboard and A360 drive synch
Upon start of Memento you will now see a dashboard where you can:
- Start a new project from photos OR Artec scanner input
- Start multiple synchronous projects from photos without waiting for the previous to be done
- Open and view recent projects
- Synch to A360 storage all the projects you have processed with Project Memento, including the ability to view them, download the models, and delete them
- Access the A360 trash bin to empty it easily when you run out space and are not aware that your trash bin is full
- Access sample models
- Access in-product feedback and links to forums and learning materials
You can easily switch/toggle between the Dashboard page to the Memento main editor UI using the toggles on the top left.
- Surface area measurement based on selection: Project Memento already had a tool for measuring the surface of a mesh. With this release, it now supports measuring the surface area of a selected part of a mesh.
- .PNG — Project Memento can now export an alpha channel PNG image so that you can use it directly in your presentations, eliminating the need to post-process the images in image processing applications for removal of the background, UI, etc.
Supporting Space mouse:
- 3DConnexion — Listening to some of the current users' desire to use space mouse when using Project Memento, the team added support for all 3DConnexion space navigators. Now go and get those models spinnin’!
So try out the new build and let us know what you think. You can reach us at email@example.com or by posting in the forum associated with the project.
Amelioration is alive in the lab.