"Money, money, money, money, money
Some people got to have it
Some people really need it
You wanna do things, do things
Do things, good things with it
Talk about cash money
— "For The Love of Money," The O'Jays
Project Energy Cost Range is our free technology preview that provides a single, simple indicator of potential building energy use and the key factors that influence it. The technology preview consists of:
- Energy Cost — A measure of performance that everyone can understand and appreciate.
- Range — Values for minimum, maximum, and mean Energy Cost are based on hundreds of thousands of (DOE2) whole building energy simulations pre-computed for climate zones all over the world, a range of building forms, types, and systems.
- Architecture 2030 Benchmark — This benchmark serves as a target/guide towards understanding the level of performance and doing better.
- Key Factors — Critical aspects of building design and operation that influence Energy Cost and provide incremental, iterative cause and effect feedback in real time.
The goals of the technology preview are essentially to establish a new way to experience building energy information that helps:
- Expose the potential for building energy savings.
- Set goals and broad strategies for building energy savings.
- Mitigate risk and manage client expectations relative to real building energy use.
- Illustrate and understand the role and value of key factors of building design and operation.
At this stage Project Energy Cost Range is focused on a specific set of factors relative to pre-design; however the intent is for the basic interaction model to be applicable to later stages and greater levels of detail in a flexible and consistent manner. In this respect, Autodesk is keen to hear your thoughts on Project Energy Cost Range, and you may see it evolve to meet the goals and more.
Cost analysis is alive in the lab.