There was this one time, at band camp... Oh wait - that's another story. There was this one time, at Autodesk University, when CTO, Jeff Kowalski, pulled a 3D motorcycle out of the screen. Well it's time for more antics of that kind.
The newest technology preview on Autodesk Labs is Augmented Reality for Showcase.
The add-on works with Showcase 2013 or Showcase Professional 2013. Basically it works like this:
- You prepare your virtual object in Showcase (e.g. set infinite background, group objects).
- You associate a supplied marker (jpg file) with your virtual object.
- You scale the virtual object.
- You print a supplied marker (PDF) and place it in the real world.
- You enable the plug-in, point your web camera at the printed marker, and voila - Showcase displays what the camera sees augmented with your virtual object in place of the printed marker.
So please give this a try and let us know what you think (e.g., email, forum, video comments) using the feedback icons that appear on the page on the Autodesk Labs site. Even if you have no plans to try this technology preview, you might want to watch the video, This is just plain fun.
Augmentation is alive in the lab.