A point cloud is a set of vertices in a three-dimensional coordinate system. These vertices are defined by X, Y and Z coordinates. Point clouds are often created by 3D scanners. Using an automatic process, these devices measure in a large number of points on the surface of an object and output a point cloud as a data file. The point cloud represents the set of points that the device has measured.
Our newest technology preview is:
The Point Cloud Tool for 3ds Max and 3ds Max Design allows you to:
- Import .PTS format point cloud data into 3ds Max or 3ds Max Design scenes.
- Display the point cloud data in the 3ds Max viewport with a variety of rendering options and levels of detail.
- Render point clouds using the mental ray rendering option.
- Slice point clouds into pieces using geometric display volumes.
- Export multiple clouds or parts of clouds to a new .PTS files.
Looking forward to seeing beautiful designs that started as scans is alive in the lab.